Maxon Motors for Sumo RobotsFirat Dede
Almost all Japan teams use Maxon dc motors for sumo robots. And we started to use at our projects. At this article I will explain why we use them.
At my latest projects,I used Maxon motors for drive. They have superior quality. At Fusion I used maxon RE40 Dc brushed motor. These motors rated 150 watt at 24V. They have incredible torque.
Firstly motors have very little response time due to the coreless structure. For RE40 response time is only 4 millisecond. Coreless structure also ensures no cogging with less inertia.
Moreover, motors have low starting currents, so spikes don’t occur.
Best Suitable Models for Sumo Robots:
RE40 and RE35 models 12V, 15V (For Maxon RE35 Model) or 24V voltage rated. And 6 mm thickness shafts are better than smaller shafts for gear coupling. These motors are heavy! Re35 models are 350 gr each and Re40 models are 400 gr each. Pure power.
Usally we make custom-built spur gearboxes for reduction. Because:
- Available gearboxes are more expensive ($$$)
- You can’t find suitable reduction ratios like 5:1 – 6:1 – 7:1.
- With preset gearboxes, placing gearhead motors to robot is more difficult.
- Preset gearbox gears have smaller diameters and have smaller modules. So they are more brittle to impacts.
Below, in the video you can see motor’s precision movements with Maxon Epos motor controllers. Controllers know motor’s position by optical encoders.
Maxon Motor Maintenance
Motors need no maintenance because of lifetime lubrication. But… We use motors at extreme conditions, so I have some recommendations:
- Use thin lubrication oil.
- Add decoupling capacitors, 100nf works fine.
- Make first movement with soft start.
MAXON DCX 35L DC Motor
Best Motor for using at Sumo Robots with custom gearbox.
Same Model Used at our robot JSUMO which won 2. degree at All International Robot Sumo.
MAXON RE35 DC MOTOR 24V Model (273752 – 323890)$360.00
MAXON RE40 DC MOTOR (148866)
One of the highest energy motors in Maxon Dc Motor family.
Users who found this page were searching for:
- motor maxon para minisumo
- motor sumo robot
- japanese drive motors for robots
- robotic motor
- sumo bots motors
- sumo with maxxon motor
- sumo motor
- sumo bot motors
- maxon dc motors
- designed sumo moter
- motor that used in sumo robot
- why use dc motor in sumo robot
- dc motor in sumo robot
- what gear to use in sumo robot
- what motor are used at sumo robot
- sumo robot motors
- Sumo Robot Motor
- highest powerful motors used in robots with smallest size
- design sumo robot Japan
- Gear-Maxon 6 7:1